Victims of crime

If you, or someone close to you, has suffered injury or death as the result of an act of violence in Victoria you may be eligible to receive compensation, even if the perpetrator was never caught or prosecuted.
Whether you’re a victim of domestic violence or some other violence does not matter, compensation may be available.
What’s more, our fees will be paid by the government if your application is heard in a tribunal established by the Victorian government to hear certain applications. If you want to pursue the perpetrator for compensation directly we can do that also.


The legal stuff

A victim of crime is someone who has suffered physical, psychological or emotional injury, or financial loss because of a crime, such as:

  • robbery
  • violent attack
  • family violence
  • sexual assault.

It may also include a person who has witnessed a crime or a family member of a person who was injured or killed.

Reporting a crime

If you are a victim of crime, you can report the crime to police. If you are in danger, call the police on 000 immediately or go to the police station.

You can also contact the Victims of Crime Helpline on 1800 819 817 to talk about your options.

Once a crime is reported, the police will investigate. You will be asked to make a statement.

If charges are laid the person who committed the crime (the offender) is charged with an offence,  you may have to:

  • go to court as a witness to give evidence
  • make a victim impact statement to help the judge or magistrate understand how the crime affected you. It will be considered by the court in deciding the offender’s penalty.

How can we help?

If you're looking for advice, consultation or simply a sounding board please get in touch and we'll get back to you shortly.

8 + 10 =

Get in Touch

Find Us

11 Railway Grove, Mornington Victoria

Service now. Pay later.